Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu
Source: Press TV
Turkey pledges to take 'necessary' action against Israel if Tel Aviv repeats its 2010 bloodshed of Gaza-bound activists against an aid convoy, which is to head to the impoverished enclave.
On Saturday, Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu said, "It should be known that Turkey will give the necessary response to any repeated act of provocation by Israel on the high seas," Reuters reported.
International activists plan to deliver large quantities of humanitarian assistance to the Israel-blockaded Gaza Strip in the third week of June.
The Freedom Flotilla II, organized by a coalition of pro-Palestinian groups, most of them based in Europe, is to consist of around 15 vessels and over 1,500 activists.
The mission is named after the first Freedom Flotilla, which Israel attacked on May 31, 2010, killing nine Turkish activists and injuring around 50 others.
"Those, who believe Turkey should take certain steps to stop [the new flotilla], must first warn Israel not to repeat the human tragedy it caused last year," Davutoglu said.
“We have shared our views about the safety of our citizens with all related parties. That was the case last year and it is not any different this time."
Israeli military officials have, however, confirmed that preparations are underway to stop any new flotilla.
The Turkish statesman further called Tel Aviv's four-year-old siege of Gaza, which has been depriving the 1.5-million Palestinians there of food, medicine, fuel and other necessities, 'unlawful.'