NATO airstrikes over the Libyan capital continue
Source: Press TV
Over a dozen massive explosions have rocked central Tripoli as intensified NATO airstrikes over the city continue.
Six blasts were heard at 12:35 a.m. Thursday morning (2235 GMT Wednesday) which were followed by several more explosions minutes later, AFP reported.
NATO fighter jets carried out attacks late Monday and Tuesday on Tripoli, the suburb of Tajura, and Al-Jafra, 600 kilometers (370 miles) to the south.
For more than a week, NATO warplanes have intensified attacks on Tripoli, especially in the Bab al-Aziziya district of the city, where the residence of the embattled ruler is located.
On Tuesday, Libyan government spokesman Mussa Ibrahim said 718 civilians were killed and 4,067 others injured during NATO airstrikes from March 19 to May 26.
However, NATO has decided to extend its military operations in Libya until the end of September 2011. The military alliance was previously scheduled to stop its war at the end of June.
"NATO and partners have just decided to extend our mission for Libya for another 90 days," NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen said in a statement on Wednesday.
NATO is tasked with implementing a no-fly zone over Libya in accordance with UN Security Council Resolution 1973, which was approved in March.