Source: Press TV
Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov has condemned the recent twin bombings in Syria, accusing certain foreign powers of encouraging the ongoing violence, Press TV reports.
“Unfortunately governments who support the opposition groups are not allowing for an understanding to be reached. They even encourage the opposition groups to not accept an agreement, and instead they force for the continuation of destructive activities,” Lavrov said during a visit to China.
He also said that his country would not change its stance towards a resolution to the violence in Syria despite growing foreign pressure.
The foreign minister’s remarks come a day after the deadliest attacks since the country's last year's uprising. On Thursday, twin bomb blasts in the al-Qazzaz district in Damascus claimed the lives of at least 55 people, injuring another 400.
China also called on all sides to work towards the peace plan proposed by UN-Arab League envoy Kofi Annan in March.
Russia and China argue that a resolution calling for a regime change will not reduce the unrest in Syria, but would only give Western countries a pretext to intervene.
Both powers are calling for political dialogue between the Syrian government and opposition groups.
Moscow and Beijing have vetoed two Western-backed UN Security Council resolutions calling on Assad to step down as a move towards a solution.
On May 9, a bomb attack also targeted a Syrian military truck escorting a convoy of UN observers near the southwestern city of Dara’a. Six Syrian soldiers were wounded in the attack.
A number of UN observers are currently monitoring the ceasefire in Syria which took effect on April 12.
The first group of the observers arrived in the Syrian capital on April 15 in line with the UNSC Resolution 2042, which had been approved a day earlier.
On April 21, the Security Council met and unanimously voted on Resolution 2043 to send a mission of 300 observers to Syria.