Monday, March 21, 2011

Thousands mourn at funeral in Bahrain



Thousands of mourners march in the funeral procession for the anti-government protester Issa Radhi on Sunday, March 20, 2011, in Sitra, Bahrain

Source: Press TV
http://www.presstv.ir/detail/170980.html

Thousands of Bahrainis have attended the funeral procession of an anti-government protester killed during last week's government crackdown in Sitra.

Issa Radhi went missing last Wednesday during an attack by government forces in Sitra, southwest of the capital, Manama, his family said.

Radhi's body was returned to his family on Sunday, with a broken skull, shotgun wounds to his legs and covered in multiple bruises, said his brother Khalil Radhi.

"We bury him today, but we won't bury the right to avenge his death," Khalil said.

The government authorities did not give any explanation, and only said that they had found his body.

More than 2,000 mourners chanting "Down with the regime" joined the third funeral procession on Sunday.

The 47-year-old Radhi was not the only one who went missing during the protests, according to a former opposition lawmaker.

At least 100 people have gone missing, said Hadi al-Mussawi, from the largest Shia opposition group, Wefaq.

Sitra, the hub of Bahrain's oil industry, has been the site of the worst confrontations during the month-long anti-government protests, in which at least 13 people have been killed.

Saudi Arabia has deployed more than 1,000 troops to the country, while the UAE has dispatched around 500 police forces to assist in the repression of protesters.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on this post. Please consider sharing it on Facebook or Twitter for a wider discussion.

English FA Cup 2017/18