Thursday, April 21, 2011

'US-led ground invasion of Libya likely'



Source: Press TV
http://www.presstv.ir/detail/175955.html

The US is preparing for a ground invasion of Libya, which will probably entail mass killings of civilians and a Somalia-style guerrilla war, says a US author.

“I think we are very close to an actual [US-led] ground invasion [of Libya] even though the various powers involved [in the Libyan war] deny it,” Webster Griffin Tarpley, an author and historian in Maryland, told Press TV on Wednesday.

"Very likely, there will be... a slaughter of Libyans. It will likely lead to a situation like Somalia with a guerrilla war going on," Tarpley added.

He added that the presence of US marines off the coast of Libya who are heavily armed and ready for action is an indication of the preparation for an invasion of the country.

Tarpley contended that the British and the French governments have also been helping the US and paving the ground for the invasion of the North African country.

“The British and the French were working on it since last autumn,” Tarpley said, adding that “There is very good evidence that a boatload of US, British and French combat advisors arrived in Libya sometime around 23 or 24 of February.”

The author also pointed out that the US is not taking the lead in the war on Libya because American people are “sick and tired of the US imperialist adventures.”

He noted that US President Barack Obama, French President Nicolas Sarkozy and British Prime Minister David Cameron are trying hard to get rid of Libyan ruler Muammar Gaddafi to boost their 'sagging political careers.'

“The entire logic of this (war) goes to the fact that Sarkozy, Obama and Cameron have now bet their demagogic political standing on getting rid of Gaddafi. They have hated him the same way that [former British Premier] Anthony Eden hated [former president of Egypt] Jamal Abdel Nasser in 1956,” Tarpley said.

France and Britain have dispatched some military advisors to the opposition-held city of Benghazi in eastern Libya in a move claimed to be aimed at helping the revolutionaries' military organization, communications and logistics but ruled out the possibility of deploying ground troops to the country.

The war in Libya has so far killed around 10,000 people and injured over 50, 000 others.
The new death toll was announced by Italy's Foreign Minister Franco Frattini on Tuesday after he held talks in Rome with Libyan revolutionary leader, Mustafa Abdel Jalil.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on this post. Please consider sharing it on Facebook or Twitter for a wider discussion.